Forestry Tasmania will be recognised for its sustainable forest management of Tasmania’s public production forests, and as a progressive, commercially viable supplier of wood to a strong Tasmanian forest industry.
Forestry Tasmania is professional, consultative and innovative in sustainably managing Tasmania’s public production forests for the benefit of current and future generations, and in commercially supplying wood to the Tasmanian forest industry.
Forestry Tasmania aims to:
- Transition to a new operating model and achieve financial self sustainability for FT’s commercial operations through innovation and ongoing improvement
- Sustainably manage Tasmania’s public production forests to maintain wood resources and other environmental, cultural and economic values
- Maximise the commercial recovery, utilisation and value of harvested wood
- Make available agreed wood volumes to underpin a sustainable Tasmanian forest industry
- Actively engage with stakeholders to build trust and inform decision making
- Provide a safe, healthy and productive workplace
- We care for people and their environment
- We get things done - safely and efficiently
- We do what we say we will do
- We are proud of who we are and what we do
- We think before we act
Our forest management is currently certified under the Australian Forestry Standard which is recognised, under the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification, as being an independent assurance of legal and sustainable timber supply. We are also in the process of seeking certification for our operations under Forest Stewardship Council® standards.
Forestry Tasmania is a statutory authority established under the Government Business Enterprises Act 1995. Our principal purpose is identified in the Forest Management Act 2013.
In accordance with the Government Business Enterprises Act 1995, a Ministerial Charter describes the Government's broad policy expectations and requirements for Forestry Tasmania, and is amended from time to time.