Hunting on Permanent Timber Production Zone land (land managed by Forestry Tasmania).
Latest News: Big Den Ballot for deer hunting is now open, read story below.
Many Tasmanians enjoy hunting, including on land managed by Forestry Tasmania.
The following information is to assist people wanting to hunt on Permanent Timber Production Zone land (PTPZ) – formerly known as State Forest. Maps to assist you with hunting on PTPZ land can be downloaded from this site .
If you want to hunt on PTPZ land, you will need to:
- Hold a current firearms licence
- Appropriate permits from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE) for the animals you wish to hunt.
- If applying for a new firearms/or renewing an existing licence an 'Authority to Shoot' can be obtained from any FT district office at a cost of $11.00.
- Be aware that entry onto some areas of PTPZ land for hunting may be restricted due to forest management activities such as harvesting, conflicting site values (e.g. threatened species). This will be at the discretion of the relevant Regional Forest Manager.
- Be aware that no keys will be issued to access PTPZ land.
General Regulations Applicable to all Species
There are a number of regulations applicable to all species. The important ones are listed below.
- Hunting at night is prohibited. (Night means the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.)
- The use of baits, live decoys, traps, snares, spears, bows and arrows, explosives, poison, bird lime and chemical compounds is prohibited.
- Solid jacketed military ammunition is prohibited.
- Hunters must produce their current Firearms Licence to obtain a game licence unless they are exempt under the Firearms Act 1996 and the Wildlife (General) Regulations 2010
There are a number of areas where the road to PTPZ land is on private property controlled by private landowners – therefore FT do not have legal authority to give public access.
General hunting maps for download
Big Den’ is a special area set aside for deer hunting and is managed by Forestry Tasmania's North East Region under a Wildlife Management Plan.
Balloted access for the public is available during the deer season. Deer hunters should contact our Perth office 6398 7000
Big Den Ballot for 2016 is now CLOSED
The 2016 Big Den Ballot has closed and will open again next year in November 2017. 166 hunters have been registered this season