Visiting Our Forests
You are welcome to visit Permanent Timber Production Zone land managed by Forestry Tasmania but before you head out we recommend that you contact one of our local Regional Offices.
They can provide advice on what operations are in progress in the areas you wish to visit, the possibiliy of heavy vehicles sharing those roads, general road conditions and any locked gates.
Camping is generally allowed anywhere on PTPZ land except where signed ‘no camping’. Campfires are okay in most areas at most times, but please take care. Contact your local Forestry Tasmania Regional Office for information on any fire restrictions which may be in force. If you are bushwalking in alpine areas or rainforest, please use a fuel stove. These areas cope poorly with fire, and wood there is often scarce and wet.
Things to remember while driving and visiting the working forests:
1. Obey laws and regulations for vehicles/recreational vehicles including 4wd, motor bikes/atv's that apply to public lands
2. Respect cultural, heritage, and environmental values of public/private land
3. Respect flora and fauna. Stop look, but never disturb or remove
4. Keep to formed vehicle tracks
5. Keep the environment clean. Carry your own, and any other rubbish back out
6. Keep your vehicle mechanically sound and clean to reduce environmental impact
7. Adopt minimal impact camping and driving practices
8. Seek permission before driving on private land. Do not disturb livestock or watering points and leave gates as found
9. Take adequate water, food, fuel, basic spares and first aid kit. In remote areas travel with another vehicle and have radio contact
10. Plan your trip and lodge trip details with responsible persons.
You need to be aware that full registration and a licensed driver are required in all areas. Some areas are available for vehicles, trail bikes and all terrain vehicles (ATV’s) with restricted vehicle registration, but all drivers must still hold a current licence.
Additional information to help you with your planning:
- Refer to “Policy for the use of recreational vehicles on State-owned lands” (PDF)
- Refer to “Cruisin’ without Bruisin’” for 4WD tracks and regulations. (PDF)
- "On Yer Bike" (PDF) a brochure with information for trail bike (TB) and ATV's. For tracks and regulations refer to Ride around Tasmania. (available from Forestry Tasmania offices, Service Tasmania and most motor bike shops).
- Camping Caring (PDF)
- Keep Left Slow Down (PDF) Safe driving brochure for visitors to our public forests
- Firewood Permits
- Hunting on PTPZ land
- Road Closures
- Planned Operations
- Planned Burns
- Contact Us
We hope you enjoy your experience visiting Tasmania's working forests.